This is what I wore last Saturday and it was perfect for a chilly day in March. I love to layer with a leather moto and these embellished slides are so easy and comfortable. && I am pumped to have finally found a new pair of jeans that I LOOOVE.
Because sometimes it’s ok to just give in and dress totally casual. There is zero shame in going with the ‘comfort is key’ mindset. All I have wanted to wear lately are easy, laid back pieces and I blame the dreary weather and the fact that it’s January. My go-to? Black leggings. But, this weekend past weekend I reached for these joggers and I can promise you it won’t be the last time you see me in them.
It’s January. And while that means a brand new exciting year is upon us, it also means we’re in the thick of the cold months that tend to bring on the dreaded winter blues. Last year is the first year I tried to do a few things to help battle this time in the year that can tend to be depressing and I swear they worked! As I was sitting here thinking back on our Jan-Mar 2016 I can honestly say that didn’t get me as down as they have in the past. So I came up with a little list of some random things I suggest doing. Give the following a try:
– book a weekend trip somewhere warmer
This was the number one thing we did that helped last year. We flew to Miami for a big horse race Ethan wanted to go to one weekend in January and then we drove to Charleston for a weekend in February. It helped to have something to look forward to even if they were short and sweet trips. We didn’t take days off work, we just squeezed them into a weekend. So, while most people would say the ratio of the travel time compared to the time we were there wouldn’t make it worth it–I would totally disagree. I would do it all over again just to break things up!
– try a new recipe
We get into a rut of doing the same easy dishes week after week. And while usually it is nice to have some go-to dinners (ours are turkey chili and fajita bowls), it can also be good to add in a new recipe you haven’t ever made. Ask your mom for one or just browse Pinterest! It might help to have something different to eat on a random Tuesday, even if it isn’t a healthy option!
– pack a bag and do a staycation
Never under estimate the power of a staycation in your own city. My parents just did this in Lexington and had a blast! The drive will be super easy so you don’t have to stress out about that and the reservation can be made last minute. You won’t even dread the packing because all you have to do is throw things in for one night. Just pick a hotel in the closest downtown to you and then walk somewhere for dinner after you have some wine in the room. Then sleep in the next day before you head back home!
– go to the movies on a week night
Most people do date night at the movies on a Friday or Saturday but I actually enjoy going more on a night during the week! This way you can still hit a workout class right after you get off and do a really easy dinner at home before catching a showing around 8pm. You can zone out and get lost my the big screen and for a couple hours you’ll totally forget that it’s only Wednesday and you have to go to work tomorrow. Then you reserve your weekend nights for things that are more social!
– order pizza and have a cocktail for an award show
A lot of times we end up spending our Sunday nights with family. My mom likes to cook a big meal on Sunday so we’re often over at their house or meeting Ethan’s family for dinner. I totally love doing both, but while award season is in full swing, take advantage and plan to stay in and watch the red carpet and the show with a huge pizza and a bottle of champs. Make sure you go all out and order any toppings you want and get the cheesy bread too! The SAG awards are on Sunday and the Grammys will air the following week!!
– clean out your house–closets, drawers, kitchen cabinets
This one doesn’t sound fun, I know. Cleaning can be such a dreaded task but if you take the time now to do little clean outs of these areas and throw out/donate tons of stuff then you will really enjoy your space more. And bonus, you will feel totally ahead of the curve once everyone starts talking about spring cleaning! Don’t overwhelm yourself and try to do everything at once. It will take up your whole weekend and depress you. Just hit one area at a time over the course of a few weeks.
– order a bathing suit
I found a really cute one-piece at Target that I ordered last year and I can’t wait to wear it again this Summer. Do it online so you don’t have to go to a store and freeze your butt off in the dressing room or get down after seeing your pale legs in the florescent lighting. Even if you can’t wear it anytime soon it will be fun to have a piece to look forward to and it will also provide some motivation for you at the gym.
– do a wine tasting at home before you head out for date night
I think wine tastings always sound like so much fun but they can seem like an overwhelming activity. Just make it super, super simple and pick out two bottles of whatever you like the next time you’re at the liquor store. Then while you’re getting ready to go out for dinner open both and try sips of each one. Then next time you go to buy a bottle of say, pinot grigio, you will know which one to grab for. Plus it makes for fun conversation between you and your boyfriend/husband/girlfriend when you’re seeing if you agree on the favorite!
&& now on to a few details about this outfit. I know this is a very casual one, but it is also a very realistic one for me. I wore it last weekend when we spent a few hours at our local coffee shop doing a brainstorming session. It was so cold so I knew my only option was my Uggs. (You can read all about why these minis are my very favorite pair here.) I also let the weather dictate my coat choice–this teddy number is so warm and so cuddly. I love, love, love wearing it! Sizes are limited in this one so I have found a few alternatives for you all to shop below.
Lastly, I have to mention this black hoodie. Totally not exciting, but I swear I have gotten so much use out of this piece this year. I love the street style vibe it gives an outfit and I think it is so cute to have the hood pulled outside of a coat. Adds a little warmth behind your neck too! I think it’s time to order a grey one. It’s under $25 and I am wearing an xs.
I hope my list up above gives you all a few ideas on how to spice up your days! Just remember even though Spring will be here soon, it is still definitely worth putting some effort into your days in between now and then so they are still enjoyable too. You don’t want to wish away your time!
We were supposed to get a nasty snow storm this past weekend. It turned out to be just a dusting of snow. This is SO typical of Kentucky–everyone on the news overestimates the snow fall and in turn everyone and their mom swarms Kroger and buys one of anything and everything they could possibly need for the next 10 months. Just in case, you know! Haha! It’s true though, when we went to the grocery on Friday they were sold out of everything from sour cream to avocados and it was a MAD HOUSE!
We ventured out of the house long enough Saturday to snap these photos and then it was straight back to the house to bundle up in my faux fur blanket. I watched a couple more episodes of 90210 and Ethan made me an afternoon margarita since we had the ingredients on hand. Not bad for a weekend day, huh? This got me thinking about Netflix though and while I am sure the silly dramas like 90210 are not hight on everyones list, I feel like we have watched several things that you all would love. So, I am sharing my suggested snow day binge watch list below! Perfect timing too since we got more snow last night and the roads are completely covered again. The list is in no specific order and includes everything from comedy to crime to fashion!
- WORMWOOD – an interesting story about some of the things the government has covered up over time, specifically the death of a scientist that was made to believe for years was a suicide
- CHELSEA DOES – if you liked the late night Chelsea Handler show then or read her books then this is a must watch because she covers one interesting topic (racism, marriage, etc) per episode
- SHOT IN THE DARK – a behind the scenes look at the people who stay awake all night and chase news stories in LA, filming everything from a high speed chase to a building fire to turn around and sell to the TV news stations
- FRANCA: CHAOS AND CREATION – a very, very interesting documentary about the life work of the late Editor-in-Chief of Vogue Italia
- BROADCHURCH – there’s three seasons of mystery from this British crime series and it will keep you guessing until the very last second
- MADDMAN: THE STORY OF STEVE MADDEN – I haven’t actually seen this one but it is definitely on my watch list because I know the story of Steve Madden’s success is an interesting one
- LONG SHOT – a documentary where the verdict of a criminal trial depends all on the evidence found on footage from a baseball game
- THE FIRST MONDAY IN MAY – find out everything that goes into the planning and prep for the Met Gala
- DIOR AND I – the full story behind the Christian Dior fashion house
- THE PEOPLE VS OJ SIMPSON – the series from FX detailing the OJ Simpson trial
- 9/11: TRUTH, LIES AND CONSPIRACIES – a look into several of the different theories behind what might have caused the terrible 9/11 attack
- GAGA: FIVE FOOT TWO – an eye opening look into who Lady Gaga really is and the struggles that go into being an extremely creative person who leads a public life and still makes time to care deeply for those around her
- THE CONFESSION TAPES – each episode tells the story of a crime but the confusing part lies in whether the confession that was given is true or not, is it false or was it forced upon someone by officials
- YVES SAINT LAURENT – a look into life of the designer known as YSL as he leaves the House of Dior and begins to build his empire
If you all have a suggestion on a Netflix watch that you think I would like after reading my list, be sure to share it with me! I am always on the hunt for newbies to add to my watch list. Thanks!!